Friday, November 30, 2012

Whew, I Made It!

Yes I did.  In my first attempt at NaBloPoMo, a challenge to blog every day during the month of November, I made it. Between this blog and my related food blog, I managed to post an entry on each and every one of November's 30 days. 

For the first few days it wasn't easy.  The beginning of the month was very busy with work and personal commitments taking up a big chunk of my time.  Instead of spontaneously writing whenever the mood struck me, I had to make a conscious effort to sit down in front of the computer and write.  But after day five something amazing happened. I found my rythm and suddenly sitting down to write each day was not only easy but it was something I looked forward to.  Granted most of my actual writing took place during the dark early morning or late night hours of the day while the rest of the house was still sleeping.  That was OK, however.  What was really important was that I was accomplishing what I had wanted the most:  carving out dedicated time for myself doing one of the things I love the most.

When I entered into this challenge I wondered whether or not I would have enough to say.  I think I was initially too worried about this which, ironically enough, created a writer's block during the first week.  Once I got over this hurdle the words and thoughts just flowed.  And appparently I did have plenty to say.  This shouldn't surprise people who know me since after all I am a talker, I am opinionated, and I love to share my opinions with others.  After all, isn't that what blogging is all about?

Writing over this past month has been liberating.  My posts have ranged from commentary on current affairs, pet peeves that get my blood boiling, travel to new places, causes that are deeply personal, and of course, favorite recipes.  With increased posts comes increased exposure.  I've gained new readers who have engaged me in though provoking conversations.  In turn I've discovered new bloggers who have expanded my own world.  (As a participant in NaBloPoMo we are asked to also read a handful of new blogs each day).  My comments have offended some people but I take the good with the bad and while I try to be considerate of other's feelings, I make no apologies for my thoughts.  From the serious to the humorous and everything in between, my blogs covered it all.

Thirty days ago when I entered into this challenge I questioned my ability to stick to it.  Ironically as I sit here on the final day I realize that I have more thoughts than there were days in the month.  So what does this mean?  I guess I need to continue with NaBloPoMo for the month of December.  Yes, given the numerous holiday celebrations, daily life and planned travel, it will be even more of a challenge but I'm up for it.  They say it takes two weeks for something to become a habit.  Daily blogging has become such an important part of each day that I can't give it up.  So here's to another thirty-one days of entries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment